What to do if you need to make a claim
Here are some useful tips and advice should you break down and need assistance
Our dedicated breakdown team are here to help you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you have broken down and require assistance, please call the AA on 0800 420 420 and be ready to provide the vehicle registration number.
Call us on 0800 420 420
It is important that you contact the AA because if you contact a garage direct you will have to settle the bill and the AA will not be obliged to reimburse you.
Please note, breakdown cover is only available for breakdowns that occur whilst the vehicle is in England, Wales, Mainland Scotland or Northern Ireland only.
When to contact us:
- At the roadside: For Customers who need assistance ¼ mile or more away from their home address as detailed in the Motor Insurance Policy and recovery to a local repairer.
- At Home: For Customers who need assistance in the event they break down at their home address as detailed in the Motor Insurance Policy and recovery to a local repairer.
- For National Recovery: For Customers who if we are unable to repair the vehicle, need their vehicle to be recovered to a single destination of their choice.
If your car has broken down, here’s what to do to stay safe before you call the AA and while they are on their way to you.
- Make sure you are in a safe place. Move your vehicle off the road if possible or pull up onto the hard shoulder if you are on the motorway.
- Stay well away from moving traffic – it is usually safest to get out of your car (using the doors facing away from passing traffic) and wait behind a barrier.
- Put your hazard warning lights on and wear a reflective jacket if you have one.
- Once you are safe, give us a call on 0800 420 420 and we will come and rescue you.