Our partners

  • MoneySuperMarket
  • Go Compare
  • Haven
  • Confused
  • AA
  • Swinton
  • Southern Rock
  • A-Plan
  • Mulsanne
  • Ageas

How can we help you with car insurance today?

Last Updated: 03/01/2017

A trip back to the UK is a great chance for many expats now living abroad, to catch up with family and visit old friends. While great in principle, the ever-rising cost of public transport means that getting around can be extremely expensive. One of the easiest ways to get about while back in the UK is to borrow a car from a friend or family member. It’s often free and gives you the freedom to come and go as you please.

Unfortunately many UK residents find accessing the right insurance to drive someone else’s vehicle extremely difficult. Getting a new driver added to an existing policy is expensive and often problematic as it is, without factoring in that you don’t currently live in the UK.

If this is a situation you find yourself in, there is a solution. A temporary expatriates policy gives cover to former UK residents for up to 28 days. It’s a quick and easy alternative to annual insurance which is perfectly suited for drivers who only need short-term insurance.

Why Choose Short-Term Insurance?

If you’re planning a trip back to the UK and need to get around, temporary cover is often the best insurance option. Getting a separate policy means you don’t have the hassle of adjusting an existing policy or the expense of taking out an annual cover. This also means that if you have an accident, the vehicle owners no claims discount are protected and because we offer comprehensive cover, everyone is protected.

It’s incredibly simple to get a quote, all you’ll need is basic information about yourself and vehicle you want to drive and once you’ve got a quote, you can start customising your policy to suit your needs. The flexibility of short-term cover means you can:

o Choose how long you want your policy to last from 1-28 days

o Select what time you want your cover to start, down to the minute

o Start your policy in a month or 5 minutes time

o Select the level of cover that best suits you

o Purchase a number of affordable extras including AA roadside breakdown assistance

Visiting friends and family can be expensive as it is, without having to fork out for insurance you don’t actually need. With temporary cover for expatriates, you only pay for the cover you actually want. For quick and straightforward cover that’s available instantly, it’s the best option.

What can I use Expatriates Car Insurance for?

Borrowing a Vehicle

It’s the easiest way to get on the road while visiting the UK but it often comes with the added pressure of making sure nothing goes wrong with the vehicle. You won’t want to take any risks while borrowing a car so the best way to ensure everything goes smoothly is to get cover that’s comprehensive.

Short-Term comes with comprehensive cover as standard which means that if you have an accident, you, the vehicle and the vehicle owner are covered regardless of whether or not it was your fault. Not only is everyone covered but because it’s a standalone policy, the vehicle owner’s no claim discount is protected.

A temporary policy means that anyone letting an expat use their car can relax knowing they’re covered if the worst should happen.

Business Use

Even if you don’t live in the UK anymore, you may be required to return occasionally as part of your job. Whether it’s attending meetings and courses or just transporting items across the country, you’ll often find that the most cost-effective way to get insurance is to purchase a short-term policy.

As you’re only paying for the minimum duration of cover you actually need you can reduce costs for your business while still getting the highest level of insurance while you drive. Even if you need to leave last minute, it’s still simple and straightforward as you can get your policy to start instantly. Policy documents are emailed to you straight away so you’re covered from the minute your policy starts.

Business trips can be a pain to organise, so getting hassle-free insurance that’s quick to purchase and offers you comprehensive cover is one way to reduce some of the stress.

Can I Get Cover?

In order to be covered by our expatriates car insurance, you must meet the following criteria:

o You must have previously lived in the UK for 36 months

o Be currently living in a country within the EU or EEC

o Be aged 18 or over

o Hold a full UK, EU or EEC licence (or NI Licence)

Other exclusions may apply depending on a number of risk factors.

If you’re planning a trip back to the UK for business or pleasure, a short-term policy is the easy and straightforward way to get comprehensive insurance.