14192 reviews
Get quote

90 day unoccupied house insurance

3 month cover for your unoccupied house

Get home quote

What is three-month unoccupied house insurance?

You no doubt understand how incredibly important home insurance can be, to protect you from financial difficulties when things like burglary, water leaks or a fire strike – and to get your home back to normal as quickly as is possible afterwards. You probably wouldn’t even think twice about arranging it.

But did you know that if your house is left unoccupied for a set period of time, your regular, annual home insurance policy will no longer be valid and becomes void?

That means that, to keep your home protected, you’ll need to make alternative arrangements. And that’s where 90-day unoccupied house insurance comes in.

What does ‘unoccupied’ mean in the context of house insurance?

When insurers talk about a home being unoccupied, they’re referring to any span of time, measured in days, where nobody will be living at the property. And that’s not to say you’d need to have ‘moved out’ of the home for it to be classed as unoccupied. This would apply even if you’d only gone on holiday and had every intention of inhabiting the house upon your return.

How long you can leave your house unoccupied before your insurance becomes invalid will vary from policy to policy, and insurer to insurer. But it’s usually sometime between 30 and 60 days. That means if you’re planning a long holiday or to move out during major works, you’ll need to find alternative arrangements.

Why won’t my current insurer cover me?

Insurers limit the number of days you can leave your home unoccupied as, unfortunately, an unoccupied house presents a greater risk. When you’re not around, your home is more likely to fall victim to things like vandalism, theft and even squatting.

So can i insure an unoccupied house for three months?

Yes. Unoccupied house insurance is available to almost all homeowners and is offered by a wide range of providers. It’s a form of temporary insurance, and you can take out cover for up to 28 days at a time so three consecutive policies will cover you for three months.

Even if you can adjust your annual policy in the event your home is unoccupied for three months, you could be charged to make the changes and you’ll probably see your premiums rise. That’s why a temporary policy really could save you time and money. Available as and when you need it, you’re not tied into anything and can just let your cover lapse as soon as your home becomes occupied again.

What’s more, you’ll get Full Perils insurance with every policy available through Tempcover. This is the most comprehensive coverage possible, so you can enjoy total peace of mind.

Who is 3-month house insurance good for?

90-day unoccupied home insurance is an excellent solution for anyone leaving home, for whatever reason, for more than a couple of months. Examples of where it’s most commonly used include:

If you need cover during probate

Having a friend or family member pass away can be a difficult enough time without having to worry about things like insurance. But if you’re the executor of their will or their home becomes your responsibility in some form, it’s up to you to keep their home protected, as their existing insurance policy will have ended upon their passing.

The time between the death and ownership being transferred to the home’s rightful new owner is known as the probate period, and you’ll want to arrange insurance to keep everything looked after during this time.

Because there’s no saying how long this make, temporary home cover should be ideal, as it gives you the best level of coverage for just 28 days at a time. That means you can just keep taking out new policies until the home is handed over. Because it’s quick to arrange, you can stick to focusing on the important stuff.

To protect your loved one’s treasured possessions during probate, it’s also worth thinking about temporary insurance for homes in probate.

If you’re taking a long holiday

Most of us could only dream of a three-month long vacation, but if you’re one of the lucky ones, then the last thing you’ll want to be doing is worrying about your home when departure day comes.

Even though you still intend to inhabit the house on return, the mere fact you’re not around will invalidate your buildings and contents insurance after a set timeframe. It may even be the case that your insurer reduces your level of cover when you get back, or terminates the policy altogether.

 Thankfully, temporary unoccupied home insurance does exactly what you need it to. It’s flexible, so you can pick the term of the policy to match your departure and return dates perfectly, up to 28 days at a time. Getting the best level of cover available, you can sit back and relax with all the peace of mind you deserve.

If your extended getaway will take place as part of a house swap, and someone else will be residing in your home while you’re gone, you’ll need a slightly different policy. This is known as holiday home swap insurance.

If you’re home’s undergoing major works

Living in a house that feels more like a construction site isn’t fun, and if it’s an option, finding alternative accommodation can be a great idea. But if this leaves your home unoccupied for quite some time, you’ll need to turn your mind to insurance.

The nature of the works taking place may also increase the risk of damage to your property, and you might find your insurer objects on that basis, too.

Thankfully, there’s always unoccupied property insurance. The cover you’d get is so comprehensive that you’d even have legal costs paid for if a member of the public injured themselves on your property while it was unoccupied – something you’re unlikely to get with a standard policy. This could save you thousands of pounds in the long run, and give you peace of mind as you wait to move into and enjoy your newly renovated home.

How to protect your house when left unoccupied for a longer period

If you think your home will be unoccupied for more than 90 days, this isn’t a problem. While the maximum time period for our standard temporary home insurance policy is set at 28 days, there’s nothing to stop you from repeatedly taking out the cover. In theory, that means you can have unoccupied home insurance for as long as you need to. You’d just take out your first policy when your annual policy reached the date when it’s no longer valid, and keep going from there.

How to get 90-day house insurance from Tempcover

If you’re not going to be around for as much as three months, you’ve probably got something major going on. That’s why we’ve made getting unoccupied property insurance as simple as possible, so you can focus on whatever it is that’s more important.

How much does unoccupied home insurance cost?

How much you pay for your unoccupied home insurance will depend on lots of different factors, including where the house is located, the type of building it is, and the reason you’ll be leaving it unoccupied. But either way, temporary cover could be a much more affordable option than altering any existing policies, and prove truly worthwhile if something were to happen and your existing insurer had cut your level of cover – leaving you to foot the bill.

To get started, all you need to do is tell us a few details about yourself, like your name, age and occupation. We’ll also need you to provide information about the property you’d like to insure, and we’ll only ever ask for information that’s relevant to finding you the right home insurance.

We’ll then provide you with a few quotes from our panel of insurers, and you simply pick the best option for you. Once you’ve gone through payment, we’ll email all your policy documents to you right away.

After that, you’re good to go. Your cover will kick in at whatever time and date you specified, and you can make the most of your Full Perils insurance for unoccupied homes, for up to 28 days at a time.