Temporary cover for your contents
Can I get short term covered for my contents?
Short term contents insurance is the ideal contents insurance option for many everyday situations. Whether it’s because your home is unoccupied for a few weeks, or you’re doing a holiday home swap, you shouldn’t pay for more cover than you actually need.
If you’re looking to insure the things most precious to you, but don’t want to pay over the odds for insurance you don’t need, short term contents insurance is the easiest and most affordable way to get convenient, temporary cover.
It’s now quick and easy for homeowners to get temporary insurance with policies available online in minutes. With tailored policies available from 7-28 days you get the policy you want for the duration you need.
Temporary contents insurance is available as part of a temporary home insurance policy. When getting a quote, in the section titled ‘your home cover’ you should select the contents only insurance option.
We know how important your possessions are and whether it’s for just a week or a month, you’ll want to be sure that the important things in your life are covered.
With short term contents insurance from Tempcover, you get complete peace of mind that everything is taken care of.
What’s covered under the policy?
When looking for contents insurance, regardless of the duration, it’s incredibly important to know what exactly is covered under the policy.
No one wants to find out that something incredibly valuable or significant isn’t covered, especially when it’s too late, so check that the things you expect to be insured, are.
Contents for the purposes of short term contents insurance are defined as the items in and around the home. While the specifics of the individual items which are covered under the policy are available in more detail in the policy wording, here is a brief overview of what contents are covered:
- Tenants fixtures and fittings
- Radio and television aerials, satellite dishes, their fittings and masts which are attached to the home
- Contents in outbuildings
- Deeds and registered bonds and other personal documents
- Personal belongings e.g. clothes, luggage, and sports, musical, camping, or photographic equipment
- Pedal bikes within the home
There are also a number of things that aren’t covered under the terms of the policy, this includes but is not limited to:
- Contents which are within your home as shown in your policy schedule but not contained within the home
- Contents which are kept away from the premises as shown in your policy schedule
- Money and credit cards
- Valuables – defined as items of gold, silver or other precious metals, jewellery and furs, and other collections (paintings, works of art etc.) which belong to you or are your legal responsibility.
- Motor vehicles – other than garden machinery
- Any living creature
- Any part of the buildings
- Any property held or used for business purposes
- Any property insured under any other insurance
- Landlord’s fixtures or fittings
As mentioned above, this is not an exhaustive list and more specific details can be found in the policy wording.
What properties can be covered?
As with all insurance products, there are some people, homes, or situations that insurers are unwilling to offer cover for.
Given the huge expense that comes with insurance payouts, there are certain risks that are seen as just too much risk and therefore cover is not available.
With temporary home insurance, exclusions usually apply to the home rather than the homeowner, but this is not always the case. It’s up to the individual insurer to decide which things they will not cover.
While further exclusions may apply, but we’re confident we can offer you short term contents insurance if your details don’t feature on this list of general exclusions. We can’t currently offer short term cover for:
- Properties with more than 5 bedrooms
- Properties that are more than £500,000 in value
- Listed buildings
- Existing or deliberate damage to the contents
- Wear and tear
- Defective design or construction
- Loss or damage caused by subsidence, heave or landslip
- Loss or damage resulting from theft or attempted theft from the home other than as a result of forcible or violent entry or exit from the home
- Loss or damage caused by trees being cut down or cut back within the premises
- Loss or damage to gates, hedges, or fences
- Loss or damage caused by insects, birds, vermin, or domestic pets
What do I need to get a policy?
Finding the best contents insurance is simple and straightforward when using Tempcover.
We make the process of getting temporary insurance as quick and easy as possible and thousands of our customers seem to agree.
We currently hold a 5*, 9.1/10 rating the customer review website TrustPilot and 81% of reviewers have rated us excellent.
To make everything as simple as possible we only ask for the bare minimum information required to provide a contents insurance quote. To get temporary contents insurance you’ll only need to provide us with the following information.
Firstly, you’ll need to tell us why you require temporary home insurance. This will help the insurer identify the situation you’re in and the possible risks that come with it.
Next, you’ll need to enter some contact information and basic details about yourself (if you’re the policyholder). You’ll need to enter your name, your date of birth, your address and some contact details like your email and phone number.
Once you’ve entered this information, you’ll need to give us some details about the property you want to insure. We’ll need to know the property type, the construction of the walls and roof e.g. brick & tile.
We also need the year (approximately) the house was built and its listed status. Finally, you’ll need to confirm who will be in the house for the duration of the policy.
Next, you’ll need to select what type of cover you want. We not only offer contents only insurance, but buildings only cover as well as both buildings and contents insurance.
If you select contents only, you’ll need to provide an estimation of the value of the contents of your home.
After you’ve answered all the required questions, you can select the duration of your policy and from there you’ll be presented with your quotes.
You’re just a few clicks away from being covered and the whole process takes just a few minutes.
To find out how much you could save with short term contents insurance, get a contents insurance quote online now.