19,410 Reviews

Trust pilot 19,410 reviews
Get a quote

Green Cards

Note – Despite the conclusion of a trade deal with the EU, the European Commission has not yet confirmed the…

Read length: 4 minutes

Note – Despite the conclusion of a trade deal with the EU, the European Commission has not yet confirmed the UK’s continued participation in the Green Card Free Circulation Area (GCFCA), which comprises all 30 European Economic Area (EEA) countries as well as Andorra, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia and Switzerland. You will therefore need to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in any of those countries.

Unfortunately due to the short period nature of our products we are not able to issue green cards currently but we hope to be able to resume this cover in the near future.

As we’re sure you’re aware, the initial Brexit deadline has now been moved to the 31st October but could be pushed back even further. Whatever the date, there is still a very high possibility that the UK will leave the EU without a deal in place.

There are numerous implications for a No Deal Brexit, but one huge change is the impact on driving in the EU that will come from leaving without a deal. From the 31st October, or whichever date we eventually end up leaving the EU, if we leave without a deal, the way you prove that you’re insured is about to drastically change.

Currently, UK drivers are free to drive in all countries currently part of the EU or European Economic Area (EEA) if you have a valid British or Northern Irish licence and valid car insurance. With any standard car insurance policy, you automatically get third-party cover with some providers even offering a fully comprehensive cover upgrade.

So, what will change from the 31st October?

From the 31st October and thereafter, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, drivers will need a Green Card in order to prove they are properly insured to drive in the EU. A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which proves that you have the minimum level of insurance required by the country you’re driving in.

How will this affect temporary insurance?

From the 31st October, assuming that there is no deal in place, you will need to purchase an EU upgrade to be able to drive in the EU during your policy.

You will only be able to get this upgrade from our customer care team by using the web chat feature on our website. You’ll speak directly to our helpful team who will be able to get a Green Card sorted for you as quickly as possible.

Green Card rules mean that they must have a minimum of 15 days of cover left on it when you enter an EU country. This means that you must purchase a policy of at least 15 days in duration to receive a Green Card.

Policies of less than 15 days do not qualify for a Green Card and therefore driving in the EU will not be covered.

If you don’t have a Green Card while driving in the EU, you may be breaking the law and risk having the vehicle seized or prosecution.

How can I get a Green Card?

If you’re planning to drive in the EU after the 31st October with a temporary insurance policy, you will need to contact our customer care team via our web chat feature to assess what we can provide before purchasing.

You will need to give at least two weeks’ notice when applying for your Green Card to allow sufficient time to issue a green card to you.

If you plan to drive in the EU on a more long-term basis, you will need to apply for one from your annual insurance provider in advance of leaving the country.

How much does a Green Card cost?

Green cards are generated free of charge as part of the Fully Comprehensive EU upgrade, which must be purchased in order to travel within the EU.

I will be driving in the EU either side of the Brexit deadline, what do I do?

If you’re planning to drive in the EU before we leave, you won’t need a Green Card if you’re returning before the deadline. If your trip starts before the 12th but will continue after the deadline, you will require the fully comprehensive upgrade and Green Card for the duration of your journey.


Do I need a Green Card to hire a car?

No, you shouldn’t need a Green Card if you’re planning to hire a vehicle once you’re abroad as insurance should be included in the rental package. If you’re hiring a vehicle in the UK that you intend to drive in the EU after the 31st October, you will need to apply for a Green Card.

For more information on Green Cards and driving in the EU after the Brexit deadline, speak to your insurance or visit the Gov.uk website.

Find out how we can help you.

Affordable cover, unbelievably fast
Get a quote
At Tempcover, we work hard to deliver the best value insurance policies and we are really proud of our industry awards and accreditationsFind out more