Get quote

Temporary European car insurance

Instant short term car insurance

Get car quote

Get covered in 3 simple steps

  • Compare prices
  • Customise your policy
  • Get covered instantly
car icon

Looking to save time and money on temporary insurance? You've come to the right place!

Tempcover compares prices from a range of insurers to get you the best deal possible. Here's what you'll get when you use Tempcover

  • From 1 hour to 28 days
    You only pay for the cover you want and only when you need it.
  • Borrowing another car
    Holidays, moving or emergencies.
  • Buying a new car
    Drive away cover while waiting for an annual policy.
  • Protects your no claims discount
    Fully comp insurance for peace of mind.
  • Quick and easy quote process
    Get a fast, flexible quote in under 2 minutes.

Temporary insurance can cover you to drive abroad

Car insurance abroad

Temporary car insurance can be the ideal solution for many drivers looking to hit the open road abroad. Whether you’re visiting friends or just on holiday, short term cover could not only save you money but take the hassle out of adjusting your existing cover while driving abroad.

So much can change when you’re planning a holiday, whether it’s the vehicle you’re using or who is driving. You need to make sure you have short term car insurance that covers you to drive abroad and that’s flexible and gives you everything you need before you head off.

Europe is full of amazing spots perfect for driving holidays and while getting there may be easy, organising the right insurance to drive abroad can be a real headache.

There are a number of ways you could get cover for driving abroad but they might not all be simple, straightforward and cost-effective.

Adjusting an existing policy

If you’re borrowing a car for the trip, getting a short term policy is the simplest and often cheapest way to get cover to drive their vehicle.

You won’t have to worry about adjusting any existing insurance which can take a lot of time, effort and could see the vehicle owner’s premiums increase.

It also protects the vehicle owners No Claims Bonus if you have an accident while driving their vehicle.

Even if you’re driving your own vehicle, driving abroad can take its toll. The vast stretches of road and long journey times can cause exhaustion in drivers which can be extremely dangerous.

A great way to make sure everyone is alert behind the wheel is to share the responsibility.

Adding a named drive to a policy can be expensive, especially if you only want them named for a short period of time.

With holiday car insurance, your friend or family member can get cover to drive your vehicle for the duration of the holiday and your policy and No Claims Bonus is unaffected.

Driving in Europe insurance

Why choose temporary cover?

Aside from saving you the effort and possible expense of adjusting your existing policy, temporary car insurance gives you the cover you need, for the duration you actually want. Available for up to 28 days at a time, you only pay for the insurance you actually need.

You get the peace of mind that if the worst should happen while driving in unfamiliar conditions, you’ll have the legally required cover, no matter what country you’re driving in.

Getting a quote has never been easier, simply enter some basic information about the vehicle and the driver you want to be insured and select the quote you want from our panel of insurers.

You can then adjust the start time, date and duration of your policy to best suit your needs. Be sure to select the ‘European Cover’ add-on from our additional extras menu to make sure you’re covered to drive abroad.

It takes just minutes to get a quote and then the policy documents are emailed to you instantly so whenever you’re heading off on your drive across the continent, your policy will be ready to go.

Where can I drive?

A temporary policy covers you to drive anywhere in the UK as standard but with European Cover, you are insured to drive across all EU countries as well as the following places:

  • Gibraltar
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Monaco
  • Norway
  • San Marino
  • Switzerland
  • Andorra

Other temporary insurance rules

It’s important to remember that whether you’re driving in the UK or abroad, there are a number of requirements that all drivers with holiday car insurance must follow.

In order to get short term cover, the vehicle you want to be insured must be unmodified unless to aid a disabled driver, be right-hand drive and be worth at least £500. You can find a full list of who can get temporary insurance here.

The vehicle you’re driving must also be in the UK at the start and end of your policy.

For more information on driving abroad including what to pack and what to do if you have an accident abroad, check out our guide on how to prepare for a driving holiday.

Start a quick and easy quote now and get car insurance for driving abroad in minutes. compares prices from a range of insurers to get you the best deal possible

Get car quote