Monthly car insurance gives you the cover you need for 28 days. It can be a great way to cut costs if you only drive for short periods.
Finding cheap monthly temporary car insurance can be difficult but with temporary insurance, you only pay for the cover you actually need.
Insure a car for a month quickly and easily with Tempcover to get the cover you need.
Can I insure a car monthly?
Yes – and with Tempcover, it’s never been easier. In just a few clicks and with some of your details, we can provide one-month car insurance quotes from our panel of insurers. You can then be insured from a moment of your choosing, and we’ll email you all the necessary documents instantly.
Why choose one-month car insurance?
One-month car insurance is the truly flexible cover option.
- It’s cheaper. Only pay for cover as and when you really need it.
- It’s comprehensive. You still get the same comprehensive cover as you’d expect from traditional insurance.
- It’s flexible. You choose when your policy begins and ends with no long-term contracts.
- It’s quick. All you need is 90 seconds to get a quote.
- It’s easy. Get cover anytime, anywhere online or in the Tempcover app.
For monthly insurance as and when you need it, temporary car insurance is the ideal insurance option.
How much does monthly car insurance typically cost?
Even though monthly car insurance can be a cheaper alternative in many situations, the cost still depends on the details of the policy. This means that the overall cost will depend on several factors that are provided when getting a quote. These factors include:
- The car’s make and model – the more expensive your car is to repair or replace, the most expensive it will be to insure.
- The car’s age – Driving old cars can mean you miss out on important safety features and parts can be difficult and more expensive to find.
- Vehicle modifications – Making modifications and adding car cosmetics can cause prices to rise as insurers are less likely to pay for parts and features that aren’t manufacturer standard.
- Your driving experience – As you’d expect, new drivers with less experience are more likely to have an accident, therefore insurers will increase prices for new and young drivers.
- Driving licence type – If you’re learning to drive, you could find monthly learner insurance to help you practice, but you will have to pay more if you only have a provisional licence,
- Where you live – The crime rates and traffic accident statistics of where you live, and drive will increase or reduce the price of your policy. Safer areas will be cheaper than those with high crime and accident rates.
Choosing cheap monthly car insurance
Monthly car insurance can be a cheap option when looking for car insurance on a more flexible basis. For a lot of drivers, the long-term commitment of 12 month insurance is too much and doesn’t fit hundreds of situations we find ourselves in.
With cheap monthly insurance, you get the ease and flexibility of choosing the cover you need for the time you want. Whether you’re borrowing a vehicle, sharing the drive on holiday, or just driving for a set period, monthly car insurance can be the more cost-effective option.
You only pay for the duration you want with no long-term contracts or renewals. Just choose how long you’ll be driving for, up to 1 month and get the cover you need fast.
When might I need monthly insurance?
There are many situations where cheap one month car insurance could be the most cost-effective option. If you’re not driving every day or using that car long-term, it could be cheaper than paying for traditional annual insurance.
Here are just some of the times you might need a simple, straightforward monthly policy:
- Borrowing a car – Whether your car is in for repairs, you’re waiting for a new car, or you just need a different vehicle, cheap 1 month insurance will give you cover you legally need to borrow the car without affecting the owners existing policy or No Claims Discount.
- Sharing driving duty – If you’re planning a UK staycation, you may want to share the drive on your holiday. Do it quickly and easily with one month insurance and get complete peace of mind when it’s your turn behind the wheel.
- Your child is home from University – When your child comes home from University, they probably won’t want to be stuck taking the bus. Get a monthly insurance policy for just the time they’re back and let them use your car without it causing your annual premiums to rise.
- Visitors staying with you – Similarly, if you have a friend or family member visiting you for an extended period, you can safely insure them for the duration of their trip without them needing to pay for an expensive annual policy.
- Buying a new car – When buying a new car, you’ll be keen to start driving straight away, but if you’re waiting to find the cheapest car insurance policy (which is reported to be between 20-26 days before the policy starts) get cheap car insurance for a month and save yourself money in the long run while still being able to use your car.
How do I get a cheaper deal on my monthly car insurance?
There are ways to reduce the cost of your policy and get a cheaper deal on your monthly car insurance. As with all insurance products, it’s important to be as honest and transparent as possible to ensure you’re providing the correct information, however, there are choices you can make to get the best deal possible. These include:
- Choosing to insure a smaller, less powerful car in a lower insurance group
- Choose the right insurance for the duration you need
- Opt for the highest level of cover
- Only choose the additional products you actually need
- Tailor the policy to suit your needs
What does monthly car insurance cover?
Just because you’re getting cover for just 1 month, it doesn’t mean your level of cover has to suffer. Here is what you can expect to be covered when you choose monthly car insurance from Tempcover.
What’s covered with one-month car insurance
What’s not covered with one-month car insurance
|Fully comprehensive insurance as standard on all monthly car insurance policies
||The excess you agreed to pay
|Accidental and malicious damage to your car
||Release from an impound (unless you buy a specific temporary impounded vehicle policy)
|Legal liabilities for injury or damage to another person or their property
||Additional drivers – we can only cover the driver named on the policy
|Driving in the UK, and in some instances driving in the EU
Tempcover works with a panel of insurers to ensure we can provide temporary car insurance for as many drivers as possible. Because of this, full details of cover may differ depending on the insurer. Please double-check the policy wording before buying to confirm what your policy specifically covers.
Am I eligible for monthly car insurance?
Tempcover works with several short-term insurance providers to offer one-month car insurance. This means we can offer cover to a wide of drivers. Despite our wide acceptance criteria, you will still have to meet some basic requirements to be able to get a quote.
To get monthly car insurance cover, you must
To get monthly car insurance cover, your car must
|Be aged 17-78 years old
||Be valued between £1,500 and £65,000
|Hold a UK or EU driving licence
||Be roadworthy with a current and valid MOT (unless you are using our policy to take the vehicle to a pre-booked MOT)
|Have been a permanent UK resident for the last 12 months or a British expatriate
||Be taxed (unless you are using our policy to get the vehicle taxed immediately after purchase)
|Have no more than 7 licence points in the last 3 years
||Not be modified in any way except for a car designed to aid disabled drivers
|Have not been disqualified from driving for the last 2 years
||Be a right-hand drive car
|Have no more than 2 fault claims in the last 3 years
||Have no more than 8 seats
|Have no criminal convictions
||Not be declared SORN
|Not have had a previous policy of insurance declared void by an insurer
Please be aware that each insurer on our panel has its own eligibility criteria, so you should pay close attention to its Proposer’s Declaration.