What is temporary van insurance?
Temporary van insurance is your affordable and flexible insurance option when you need to use a van occasionally or for a short period.
It’s the quick and easy way to get the cover you need while only paying for the time you need.
Whether you’re borrowing a van to move house, transport large items, or as part of your business, van insurance from Tempcover can help you save time and money and get you on the road in your van in no time.
When would I need temporary van insurance?
Short term van insurance can be ideal for hundreds of everyday situations, including:
- Borrowing a van to move house – You’ll probably need a large vehicle to move bigger, bulkier items and you may find that borrowing and insuring a van for the day is much cheaper than hiring a removal company.
- Delivering or transporting large items – Whether you’re buying or selling, moving large items is not a job for your car. Whether you need to use one for a day or longer, you can find temporary van insurance cover to suit your situation.
- Business insurance for vans – Businesses across the UK rely on their vans, so if one goes out of action or a new employee starts, you need a quick insurance option to keep your business running. Get a temporary business van insurance quote with Tempcover in just 90 seconds.
- Test driving a new van – If you’ve got your eye on a new set of wheels, make sure everything is as it seems with a test drive. Get a van insurance policy for a few hours without adjusting or affecting any existing insurance on the vehicle.
- Driving away a new van – Once you’ve chosen your next van, don’t wait around arranging your long term insurance. Drive your new van home and give yourself up to 28 days to choose the right annual policy while still using it.
- Young van drivers – Van insurance can be extremely expensive, especially for first time or young van drivers. If you’re only driving occasionally, you could save money and get cheaper van insurance with pay as you go insurance.
What does temporary van insurance cover?
Your temporary van insurance policy comes with comprehensive cover as standard. Should the worst happen during the duration of the policy, you, your vehicle and any other third parties involved are covered.
What’s covered with short term van insurance
What’s not covered with short term van insurance
|Fully comprehensive insurance on policies from 1 hour to 28 days
||The excess you agreed to pay
|Accidental and malicious damage to your van
||Release from an impound (unless you buy a specific temporary impounded van policy)
|Loss or damage to your van caused by fire, theft, or attempted theft
||Additional drivers – we can only cover the driver named on the policy
|Legal liabilities for injury or damage to another person or their property
||No cover for the loss or damage to a vehicle, trailer, trailer-caravan or broken-down vehicle when being towed by the insured van
|Personal belongings (definitions may differ by insurer)
||Any goods carried in or on the vehicle when courier use is selected.
|Driving in the UK, and in some instances driving in the EU
Tempcover works with a panel of insurers to ensure we can provide temporary van insurance for as many drivers as possible. Because of this, full details of cover may differ depending on the insurer. Please double-check the policy wording before purchasing to confirm what is specifically covered in your policy.
If you do have to make a claim on the policy, our helpful team will guide you through every step of the claims process.
Can I get temporary van insurance?
There are many factors that insurers consider when offering cover. Your age, location, driving history, and van are just some of the things insurance companies look at when calculating your risk.
We’re confident we can provide you with a temporary van insurance quote if you and the van you want to insure meet the following criteria:
To get temporary van insurance, you must
To get temporary van insurance, your van must
|Be aged 17-77 years old
||Be valued between £1,500 and £65,000
|Hold a UK or EU driving licence
||Be in a roadworthy condition with a current and valid MOT (unless you are using the insurance policy to take the vehicle to a pre-booked MOT)
|Have been a permanent UK resident for the last 12 months
||The vehicle must be taxed (unless you are using the insurance policy to obtain tax for the vehicle immediately after purchase)
|Have no more than 7 licence points in the last 3 years
||No modifications, other than the addition of manufacturer’s optional extras; signage, roof racks, ply lining or interior storage etc. and those designed to aid disabled drivers
|Have not been disqualified from driving for the last 2 years
||Be a right-hand drive van
|Have had no more than 2 fault claims in the last 3 years
||Have no more than 5 seats
|Have no criminal convictions
||Not weigh more than 7.5 tonnes
|Not have had a previous policy of insurance declared void by an insurer
Unfortunately, there are instances when even drivers with the above details may be unable to get a temp van insurance quote with us – these include:
- Vans used for exportation. Any vehicle that leaves the UK must return within the period of cover and this would only cover them in the EU.
- Looking to insure a hire or loan vehicle.
Please be aware that each insurer on our panel has its own eligibility criteria and so you should pay close attention to their Proposer’s Declaration.
What types of van can I insure?
While van is the general term for the vehicle type, there are many different types of van available.
To make sure you get the right short term van insurance quote and pay the right the price, it’s important to select the correct body type.
When getting a quote, you can select from the following body types:
- Pickup – single cab
- Pickup – double cab
- Box van
- Luton van
- Hot food dispenser
- Ice cream van
- Livestock carrier
- Milk float
- Mobile shop
- Tipper truck
- Refuse vehicle
- Road sweeper
- Skip carrier
- Vehicle transporter