Trust pilot 17130 reviews
Get a quote

Temporary van insurance

Product guides

Temporary van insurance

Short term cover can save you time and money

Get a quote

Short term van insurance can save you time and money

What is temporary van insurance?

Temporary vans insurance is the affordable and flexible insurance choice for drivers looking to use a van on a short-term basis.

There are hundreds of everyday situations where you might need to use a van and because many of us don’t have regular access to one, borrowing a van is usually the best option.

And when you borrow, you’ll have to make sure you have the right type of insurance. This is where temporary van insurance can help you.

It’s unlikely that you’ll need to use this van permanently, so why would you want to get a permanent insurance policy? With a temporary policy from Tempcover, you don’t have to. Compare van insurance quotes for the duration you want without having to pay for cover you don’t need.

Why not get a quote today?

temporary van insurance

Can I get temporary van insurance?

There are many factors that insurers consider when offering cover. Your age, location and driving history are just some of the things insurance companies look at when calculating your risk. This means that while we’re confident we can offer short term van insurance to many drivers; some restrictions still apply.

We’re sure we can provide you with a temporary vans insurance quote if you meet the following criteria:

  • Aged between 17 and 77 years old
  • The holder of a UK driving licence or EU driving licence (minimum 6 months for UK licence and 12 months for EU licence)
  • Looking to insure vans valued between £500 and £30,000
  • Insuring a vehicle up to 7.5 tonnes
  • The vehicle must be in a roadworthy condition with a current and valid MOT (unless you are using the insurance policy to take the vehicle to a pre-booked MOT)
  • The vehicle must be taxed (unless you are using the insurance policy to obtain tax for the vehicle immediately after purchase)

We should also be able to help, even if you are:

  • A driver with penalty points – though time limits and certain restrictions do apply

There are some occasions when we are unable to offer cover. Unfortunately, we can’t offer you temporary van insurance in the following circumstances:

  • On vans used for exportation. Any vehicle that leaves the UK must return within the period of cover and this would only cover them in the EU
  • If it’s to be used as evidence of insurance to recover an impounded vehicle (see our specific impounded insurance scheme)
  • There are any modifications on the van (excluding those to aid ability)
  • The vehicle has more than 5 seats in total
  • The vehicle has been declared as SORN

As the UK’s leading temporary van insurance provider, Tempcover has helped thousands of van drivers get fast, flexible and affordable cover.

Working with several trusted insurers means we can offer temporary cover to a wide variety of drivers. From businesses that rely on their transit van to families borrowing a platform cab for a house move, and from young drivers to those with previous convictions, we aim to insure van drivers from a wide range of backgrounds.

When could temporary vans insurance cover be useful?

Borrowing a van to move house

One of the most popular reasons for borrowing a van is to move house. You’ll probably need a large vehicle to move the bigger, bulkier items and you’ll find that borrowing a van is much cheaper than hiring a removal company.

At what is already an expensive and stressful time, a short term van insurance policy can remove some of the stress of moving house.

We aim to make every step of the process as simple and straightforward as possible. From start to finish, it takes just a couple of minutes to get a temporary van insurance quote and we won’t ask any difficult or intrusive questions.

Alongside comprehensive cover as standard, you can also add a range of affordable extras to your policy including gadget cover and roadside breakdown assistance for that extra peace of mind during your move.

Once you’ve purchased your policy, your certificate of insurance is emailed to you instantly, so there’s no waiting around.

Whether it’s just 2 days or you need cover for longer, temporary van insurance offers flexibility for the duration you want. If you’re a non-UK resident coming back to the UK to help a friend or family move or pick something up for yourself, check out our expat van insurance.

For more ways to ensure a smooth move, check out our moving house guide. From packing and preparation to your first night in your new home, we’ve got everything you need to know.

Delivering or transporting large items

Moving house is not the only time you’ll need to borrow a van to move large items. Sofas, white goods and other heavy items are often too big for your everyday car, so transporting them can be a real hassle. But borrowing a van from a friend or family member can save you a lot of time and effort.

When you borrow a van from someone you know, you’ll need to ensure everyone is covered if the worst should happen. That’s where short term van insurance comes in.

Not only does temporary van insurance allow you to legally drive another person’s van, but it also protects the No Claims Discount of the vehicle owner. This will put their mind at ease and make them more likely to let you borrow their van, and because they wouldn’t have to make a claim, they’ll save money on their future premiums.

Whatever you need to transport, we’ve got you covered. From daily insurance to help you get a new kitchen worktop from A to B, to pick-up cover for your weekend gardening or a bigger week-long project that might overrun and need extending. Get in touch and see what we could do for you.

There’s even horsebox insurance for getting an equine companion to a show, or tipper truck and flatbed truck insurance for seriously large cargo requirements.

With comprehensive cover as standard and protected No Claims Discount, you can focus on delivering your things without the worry.

Business insurance for vans

There are many ways that short term van insurance could help you and your business. We know that many businesses depend on their vans and if something goes wrong, your whole operation could be affected.

From provisionally insuring new employees while annual insurance is arranged to borrowing a van while yours is in for repairs, temporary van insurance could be the ideal insurance option. 

We also know that many businesses operate on tight margins so the affordable cost of short term van insurance can be a real lifesaver. And not only can you save money by choosing temporary van insurance, but because Tempcover works with a range of insurers, you can compare van insurance quotes to find the best price and policy for your situation.

With affordable cover available instantly, temporary van insurance is the smart choice for your business.


Are you a tradesman, or small business owner looking to grow your business? Let Checkatrade help you! 

Checkatrade generates more customer online searches and call enquiries than any other online directory.

We’ve partnered with Checkatrade to give Tempcover customers an exclusive offer – click below to get FREE membership for the next 3 months!

What types of van can be insured?

While van is the general term for the vehicle type, there are many different types of van available.

To make sure you get the right short term van insurance quote and pay the right the price, it’s important to select the correct body type.

When getting a quote, you can select from the following body types:

  • Van
  • Pickup – single cab
  • Pickup – double cab
  • Box van
  • Luton van
  • Refrigerated/insulated
  • Minibus (up to 8 seats)
  • Hot food dispenser
  • Ice cream van
  • Motorcaravan
  • Taxi
  • Dustcart
  • Horsebox
  • Livestock carrier
  • Milk float
  • Mobile shop
  • Refuse vehicle
  • Road sweeper
  • Skip carrier
  • Vehicle transporter

weekly van insurance

Advice for first-time van drivers

A lot of drivers who want to borrow a van will be using one for the first time. Unlike driving a different car for the first time, getting behind the wheel of van comes with a whole new set of challenges.

You’re not only sat in a completely different vantage point, but you have a much larger vehicle to try and manoeuvre. If you lack experience driving a larger vehicle and how it handles, you’re more likely to have an accident on the road.

This is why having the right temporary van insurance is incredibly important.

It’s against the law to drive without insurance and even if you’re just borrowing a van for a day and you’re already insured on your own vehicle, you’re still committing a crime and could face:

  • 6 penalty points (more if you’re involved in a serious accident)
  • Disqualification from driving
  • Fines ranging from £300 upwards
  • Having the vehicle seized and potentially destroyed

Before you set off on your journey, make sure that you’re properly insured and that you’re comfortable driving a larger vehicle.

To help you prepare for your first trip in a van, we’ve put together this van driving guide for beginners. It has everything you need to know to ensure a safe and successful journey.

Find out how much you could save with temporary van insurance from Tempcover.

Frequently asked questions

Can I drive a van on my car insurance UK?

Every insurance policy is different, but it’s rare that you’ll be covered to drive a hire vehicle in addition to the car named on your policy. And even if you are, you’ll likely only have third party cover. That’s why short term van insurance is the sensible choice for most people.

Can I insure vans for 1 month?

With a policy from Tempcover, you can choose from 1 day van insurance or 28 day van insurance, or any number of days in between. So, whatever the job, you can find a policy to suit your situation while saving time and money.

What is hire and reward insurance for a van?

Hire and reward insurance is a form of cover that’s essential for anyone who moves someone else’s property as part of their business operations – namely couriers, haulers and furniture movers, among others. It covers the unique risks of this kind of work, such as:

  • The varied value of any cargo
  • The varied nature of the cargo
  • The frequency of stops during trips
  • High mileage day-to-day.

Taking this into account, specialist hire and reward insurance should cover:

  • The cargo you carry
  • Any damage caused to your van and other vehicles
  • Public liability
  • Employer’s liability.

Why compare temporary van insurance quotes from Tempcover?

Since its inception in 2006, Tempcover has been dedicated to providing the best temporary van insurance possible to hundreds of thousands of drivers and our reviews speak for themselves.

We’re dedicated to bringing all of our customers a comprehensive and reliable service, that’ll give them peace of mind while doing whatever it is they require a van for.

The cover you need for the duration you want

Full cover,
no impact

Get fully comprehensive cover on our standard short term policies - plus it won't affect your no claims discount

Hourly, daily, weekly

Choose the duration you want with 1-12 hour and 1-28 day cover available - don't pay for cover you don't need

All customised, nothing added

Customise your policy to suit your specific situation - get the policy you want and even choose the minute you want your policy to begin

Get a quote