What is temporary impounded vehicle insurance?
Impounded vehicle insurance gives you the insurance you need to release a vehicle from the impound.
If you need to release your car from the impound, you’ll have to prove that the vehicle is insured for at least 30 days before it can be released. With impounded car insurance, you get the 30 days’ cover you need quickly and easily.
Having your vehicle impounded can be expensive. The longer you leave it, the more costly it gets.
With our insurance for impounded cars, you can get the policy you need in just 90 seconds, with your insurance documents emailed to you instantly – saving you time and money.
It’s important to ensure you have the right insurance as most standard policies won’t cover releasing a vehicle from the impound. Buying the wrong policy will cost you even more money, so it’s crucial to get it right.
Get your impounded vehicle insurance with Tempcover and release your vehicle now.
Why do I need temporary impounded vehicle insurance?
No matter what the offence, to get your vehicle back, you need to have insurance. If you don’t already have an annual policy or your existing insurance won’t cover impounded vehicles, then you need to buy specific insurance for impounded cars.
- Impounded cars are seen as high risk by insurers – Most annual insurers won’t offer cover for impounded cars because it’s seen as a high-risk category, so a temporary impounded vehicle insurance policy will be the best option.
- You need specialist short-term impounded car cover –A standard temporary insurance policy won’t cover the release of impounded vehicles, as it only lasts up to 28 days. You’ll need to show you have at least 30 days’ insurance to get it released. Our special 30-day impound insurance gives you what you need to get back on the road.
- The sooner you act, the more money you’ll save – You have just 7 working days to reclaim your vehicle and the longer you leave it, the daily £20–25 storage fee will soon add up to a large, unwanted expense. If you fail to reclaim your vehicle or fail to show the correct documents within 14 days, your vehicle will be disposed of. In such time-sensitive situations, insurance for impounded vehicles is the ideal solution. The process is simple and straightforward with quotes available in minutes, saving you time and money.
How do I get my car out of the impound?
Valid impound insurance documents are not the only thing you need to have your impounded vehicle released. You must prove that you own the vehicle before you will be allowed to collect it.
To make this process as quick and painless as possible, you should take all the following documents with you:
- Proof of valid insurance
- Full driver’s licence (including counterpart)
- Proof of ownership (the full log book (V5C) or a new keeper supplement (V5C/10) with a verifiable and ‘in date’ bill of sale)
- MOT (a valid MOT certificate or evidence of a pre-booked MOT appointment)
This is just a general list of the documents most pounds will require, but you can find a full list in the notice letter you get when the vehicle is ready for collection.
Can I get temporary impounded car insurance?
Getting short-term impounded car insurance depends on several factors including your age, vehicle, and driving history among others. However, to be eligible for impounded car insurance, you and your vehicle must meet at least the following criteria:
To get impound insurance, you must
To get impound insurance, your vehicle must
|Be aged 21-80 years old
||Not have been modified
|Have held a full UK or NI driving licence for at least 3 years
||Have no more than 7 seats
|Must be the current legal owner of the vehicle and be able to provide proof if requested by Police
||Be a right-hand drive car
|Have no more than 3 licence points in the last 3 years if you are aged 21-25 or no more than 6 licence points in the last 3 years if you are aged 26-75.
||Be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, or the Isle of Man
|Have not been disqualified from driving for the last 5 years
||Weigh no more than 3.5 tonnes
|Have no more than 1 fault claim in the last 3 years
|Have no criminal convictions
|Not have had a previous policy of insurance declared void by an insurer
Please be aware that each insurer on our panel has its own eligibility criteria, so you should pay close attention to its Proposer’s Declaration.
Looking for something else? You can release an impounded van with temporary impounded van insurance. Once you’ve released your vehicle, why not choose a temporary insurance policy while you arrange annual insurance or sell the vehicle.