Get quote

Temporary motorhome insurance

Instant short term van insurance

Get van quote

Get covered in 3 simple steps

  • Compare prices
  • Customise your policy
  • Get covered instantly
van icon

Looking to save time and money on temporary insurance? You've come to the right place!

Tempcover compares prices from a range of insurers to get you the best deal possible. Here's what you'll get when you use Tempcover

  • From 1-28 days
    You only pay for the cover you want and only when you need it.
  • Borrowing another van
    Ideal for moving, transporting or for work.
  • Buying a new van
    Drive away cover while waiting for your annual policy.
  • Protects your no claims discount
    Fully comp insurance for peace of mind.
  • Quick and easy quotes
    Get a fast, flexible quote in under 2 minutes.

Temporary insurance for your motorhome

Motorhomes are far more than a way of getting around, for most motorhome drivers, it’s a way of life. Spending a lot of time on the road surrounded by your family, friends, and worldly possessions mean that a motorhome is far more than just a vehicle. It’s your home.

Whether you’re a year-round motorhome or campervan user or someone who uses them occasionally or for a holiday, just like more traditional brick and mortar homes you’ll want to make sure that whatever happens, your home (for however long) is protected.

While insurance for your motorhome is a legal requirement as it’s used on the road, insurance gives you peace of mind that should the worst happen, your home is protected.

For owners who live in their motorhomes or campervans throughout the year, an annual motorhome insurance policy is likely to be the best value, for those occasional motorhome users, there is a better, more affordable, more flexible insurance option.

Temporary motorhome insurance

How could temporary cover help me?

Temporary insurance for motorhomes is a great alternative for anyone looking for short term cover for their motorhome.

There are many reasons for occasionally using a motorhome from a summer holiday to trip abroad to simply picking up a new motorhome and wanting to drive it home before arranging annual cover.

Whatever your situation, if you’re only using the vehicle for a couple of days or a few of weeks, you won’t want to have to pay for a whole year’s worth of insurance.

With temporary campervan insurance, you only pay for the cover that you actually need. Simply select the policy duration you want, from 1-28 days, tailor the policy to suit your situation and you’re covered.

You get the highest level of insurance, comprehensive cover, as standard and once the duration you’ve selected has finished, your policy ends. There are no long-term contracts and you’re not tied into anything – it’s as simple as that.

Protect the vehicle owner

It’s the perfect insurance option for anyone borrowing a motorhome from a friend or family member as it protects their No Claims Discount.

Unlike becoming a named driver on their existing annual policy, temporary insurance is separate, standalone policy which has no impact on any other cover on the motorhome.

If you were to have an accident as a named driver while driving the motorhome, the vehicle owner would lose their No Claims Discount, without even being behind the wheel. With temporary insurance, you and the vehicle owner are covered.

Travel abroad with Tempcover

As a UK resident, with temporary campervan insurance, you’re free to travel across to the content and around the EU. With your short term policy, you get EU cover as standard but this only gives you the minimum legal cover required by the individual country – which in the UK would be third party only but this differs from country to country.

Enjoy a trip abroad with temporary motorhome insurance from Tempcover but it’s important to remember that the motorhome must be in the UK at the start and end of the policy.

Specific exclusions

Temporary insurance for motorhomes is available for social, domestic, and pleasure purposes and can’t be used for business purposes.

Cover is not available for any damage caused by fire from cooking or heating equipment. We do offer a range of additional extras on some temporary policies which includes roadside motorhome breakdown cover however exclusions may apply.

Further exclusions may apply, be sure to check the policy wording when you’ve purchased a policy.

Temporary motorhome or campervan insurance is available as part of our temporary van insurance product, so be sure to select van insurance when getting a quote.

motorhome insurance

Getting the best campervan insurance

It’s incredibly simple and straightforward to get a quote from Tempcover. You can get one in minutes online at any time or over the phone with our helpful customer care team.

To get a quote you’ll need to answer a few basic questions about yourself and the vehicle you want to insure. We aim to make everything as quick and easy as possible so there are no difficult questions, you’ll simply need to provide the following information about yourself of the person who will be the policyholder:

  • Your name
  • Your date of birth
  • Your occupation
  • Your postcode
  • Your email
  • Your telephone number
  • Your driving licence type and how long you’ve held that licence

You’ll also need to provide some information about the vehicle you want to insure, including:

  • The body type of the vehicle (motorhome)
  • What the vehicle will be used for
  • Who is the owner of the vehicle
  • The vehicles UK registration number

Who can get a quote?

Our temporary motorhome cover is provided by one of the insurers we work with and they have their own acceptance criteria for who can get a quote.

All insurance policies are judged on risk and what the risk is that a person or a person’s situation (location, occupation, reason for insurance etc.) will affect the likelihood of a claim.

Unfortunately, insurers can’t cover everyone as some are seen as too much of a risk and each individual insurer uses their own experience to decide who they will and won’t offer cover to.

We’re confident we can offer cover to drivers looking for cheap campervan insurance and you should be able to get a quote if you are/have:

  • Aged 21-70 for Motorhomes weighing up to 3.5 tonnes
  • Aged 25-70 for Motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes (The maximum weight allowance is 7.5 tonnes)
  • Held a full UK or EU licence for at least 12 months for motorhomes weighing up to 3.5 tonnes
  • Held a full UK or NI Licence only for a minimum of 5 years for motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes
  • Had no more than 6 driving penalty points in the last 2 years
  • Have not been disqualified from driving within the last 2 years

Further exclusions may apply and we are unable to offer motorhome contents insurance – be sure to check the declaration page during the quote process.

To find out how much you could save, get an insurance quote for motorhome cover. compares prices from a range of insurers to get you the best deal possible

Get van quote