Help Centre - Expat


What address should I provide?

For our Expat policies you should supply the residential address you will be staying at for the duration of your time in the UK.

Was this FAQ helpful?
You already voted!

What is an ‘International’ Licence?

For Temporary Insurance purposes, we consider ‘International’ as the domestic Full Driving Licence of Origin, in countries outside of the EU/UK/NI regions. Currently, we are unable to offer cover for holders of an International Licence.

Was this FAQ helpful?
You already voted!

Why can’t I get a quote?

If after submitting your application you have not been offered a quote by any of our insurers this may be due to a combination of factors such as your age, the duration that you’ve held your licence and the vehicle you’re looking to insure. It may be that one or all of these factors do not meet our insurers acceptance criteria and unfortunately, we cannot change the outcome of this for you. Do pop back again in the future; we constantly review our acceptance criteria and work hard with our insurers to provide quotes for our customers.

Was this FAQ helpful?
You already voted!

Can I tax my vehicle with a Tempcover policy?

Yes, you can tax your vehicle with our temporary policies. You can do this either online via the DVLA website, or in your local post office with your insurance documentation.

Was this FAQ helpful?
You already voted!

Can I insure my SORN vehicle?

As long as your vehicle is in a roadworthy condition, and you either have tax or will tax the vehicle with our insurance certificate, we can allow insurance for this purpose. The vehicle must have a current MOT or you must have a pre-booked MOT appointment to attend whilst insured with us in order for the insurance to be valid.

Was this FAQ helpful?
You already voted!

Why won’t you accept my licence number?

Sometimes when purchasing a policy, you’ll be asked to provide your licence number. If you’re getting a message that states the information does not match or isn’t valid, you’ll need to follow these steps:

  • Check your licence is UK registered (Northern Ireland and Isle of Man have a different format, and sadly, therefore, can’t be accepted)
  • Check your first and last name are spelt correctly, and you haven’t used a nickname or different name on the form itself
  • Check your date of birth is entered correctly
  • Check that the licence number you’re giving belongs to the driver you’re insuring
  • Check that you’re not accidentally entering a number instead of a letter, for example, “0” not “O”

Once you’ve checked all of these things, we’re pretty confident you won’t have any further issues.

However, if you need us – we’re here to help! Just submit your query on the Contact Us page.

Was this FAQ helpful?
You already voted!

What details do I need to apply for Tempcover?

You’ll need all the details of the driver who wishes to take out the insurance, including their contact details, address, date of birth, and details of the vehicle. It also helps to have the license number handy because you may be asked to provide this throughout the application.

Was this FAQ helpful?
You already voted!

Do I need to be the vehicle owner?

The simple answer is no! As long as you have permission from the vehicle owner to take out insurance on their vehicle, there’s no requirement to own the vehicle in order to temporarily insure with us.

Please note; we cannot look to insure hire, rental, or short term lease vehicles – so unfortunately if the vehicle you want to drive falls into this category, we will be unable to provide valid insurance for you on this occasion.

Was this FAQ helpful?
You already voted!

What if I don’t have a UK Passport?

Firstly, not all individuals are required to provide UK ID, it is subject to each application as to whether additional information is required.

If when applying via the website, you’ve been asked for a UK passport and you don’t have one, unfortunately we’ll be unable to take your application any further on this occasion. This is simply because the insurer who has offered to cover you, will only do so on the basis this information is provided.

That being said, it’s always worth applying first, as in some cases, this step isn’t required.

Was this FAQ helpful?
You already voted!

What details do I need to apply?

Much like our standard car and van policies, you’ll be asked to provide the details of the person who wishes to be insured, including the name, age, vehicle, and contact details.

For Expat, you’ll need to provide the UK address that you’ll be staying at for your time in the UK, as we can’t accept an International address.

Other things to consider

  • You’ll need a UK registered car, we can’t insure non-UK registered vehicles
  • You will also need to provide a UK mobile number to be contacted on if we need to get in touch with you
  • You may be required to provide UK ID, this is subject to your individual application

Was this FAQ helpful?
You already voted!

How do I qualify for Expat cover?

With our Expat scheme, we may be able to offer cover providing you meet the following criteria:

  • Have lived in the UK for a minimum of 12 months previously
  • Be currently living abroad
  • Be aged 18 to 75
  • Hold a Full UK, NI, EU,or EEA  License
  • Can provide a UK address where you will be staying for the time that you are in the UK
  • Can supply a UK mobile number to be contacted on if we need to get in touch with you

Please be aware that as an offer of cover is based on all of the details you provide, cover is not guaranteed as this is assessed on a case by case basis.

Was this FAQ helpful?
You already voted!

What is an Expat?

An expatriate (often shortened to expat) is simply a person living in a country other than their native country. Often this refers to individuals who have been sent abroad to work by their employers; or perhaps retired individuals who have chosen to live outside of their native country. So if you were born in London, you now live in Australia, but you’re returning to the UK to visit family or friends – The Expat scheme is the right scheme for you.

Was this FAQ helpful?
You already voted!

Why aren’t my Passport details being accepted?

Sadly, we can only accept UK Identification, so if you’ve got this far but don’t have a UK Passport, we won’t be able to offer you cover at this stage, as for your application it’s required in order to secure the insurance for you.

If you’re having trouble entering in your passport information or you’re not sure what’s required – here’s a few tips

  • The drivers name on the form must be the legal name in line with what is on their passport (you are not required to provide middle name on the initial application)
  • The date of birth needs to be the same so will need to be double checked at the beginning of your application to ensure it’s been entered correctly
  • When entering the Passport number, it must include all numbers, letters and symbols << >>
  • You are only required to offer the two lines at the bottom of the photo page along with the expiry, and the passport must be in date

We’re confident that if you follow the steps above, you won’t have any issues moving forward. However, if you’re still having issues, please Contact Us and we’ll do our best to help.


Was this FAQ helpful?
You already voted!

The cover you need for the duration you want

Full cover, no impact

Get fully comprehensive cover on our standard short term policies - plus it won't affect your no claims discount

Hourly, daily, weekly

Choose the duration you want with 1-12 hour and 1-28 day cover available - don't pay for cover you don't need

All customised, nothing added

Customise your policy to suit your specific situation - get the policy you want and even choose the minute you want your policy to begin

Cookie notice

We use essential cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use non-essential cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and analysing information on how you use our website and for advertising purposes.

You can agree to accept all cookies by clicking 'Accept all cookies' or you can change your preferences by clicking 'Manage Cookies' below. For more information about the cookies we use, see our cookies policy