14192 reviews
Get quote


Green Cards

Brexit and Driving Abroad

Currently, UK drivers are free to drive in all countries currently part of the EU or European Economic Area (EEA) if you have a full valid British or Northern Irish licence and valid car insurance. With any of our standard private car insurance policies, you automatically get third-party equivalent cover.

Note – In the event of a Britain leaving the EU without a deal in place, you will be required to organise a Green Card as proof of insurance from your insurer before driving in the EU (see below for more information).

Due to the short term nature of our products we offer, and the administration time required to generate a Green Card, we regret that we cannot supply Green Cards for our policies and would therefore not be appropriate if the cover is intended to be used within the EU.

We’ll be updating this page with new information as and when the Brexit dealings become clearer. For the latest information on driving abroad you can visit: https://www.abi.org.uk and https://www.gov.uk/

About your cover

Can I take out multiple policies?

Yes. It is possible to take out more than one policy in most instances.

How do I insure a vehicle that is not listed?

We are only able to insure those vehicles found on our website.

Why am I unable to get a quote/policy?

While we’re confident we can offer cover to a wide range of drivers, occasionally you may find instances where our underwriters are unable to offer you a policy.
This could be due to a number of factors such as the postcode area, the age of the driver and/or the type of vehicle you wish to insure. We are however constantly expanding our panel of insurers to widen the scope of what we can cover. Please keep us in mind, as you may find we can help you in the future.

Can I arrange cover for a date in the past?

We are unable to do this as it is not possible to backdate insurance cover.

What we cover

What vehicles can I insure?

This will be dependent on your age, as minimum age restrictions apply according to the vehicle insurance group. Please visit our guide pages to see more information on which vehicles can be insured.

Will I be covered to drive other vehicles?

No. The only vehicle you will be covered to drive is the one you have provided the details for on your policy, but you can purchase another Tempcover policy.

Does your insurance cover towing a boat/caravan/trailer?

Yes, the item being towed is covered for any damage that it may cause whilst it is attached to the vehicle. There is no cover for the actual boat/caravan/trailer.

Do you insure campervans, caravanettes, motorhomes or horseboxes?

Currently, one of the insurers we work with can offer temporary insurance for motorhomes, campervans, caravanettes and horseboxes. This cover is currently an extension to their van insurance scheme so be sure to select van insurance when starting your quote. At this time, we are unable to insure recovery vehicles.

Do you insure rented/hired/leased vehicles?

We are currently unable to offer cover for hired vehicles i.e. from Hertz or Avis. We can cover leased or hire-purchase vehicles. We can also cover demonstrator and courtesy vehicles, but this does not extend to travel outside of the UK.

Can I buy Road Tax with my Tempcover insurance policy?

The DVLA and most UK Post Offices will accept insurance certificates which have been downloaded from the Internet for road fund licence purposes.
Please be aware that not all of our insurers offer cover for this purpose, but this information is displayed when selecting an insurer. For more information about purchasing vehicle tax, please visit www.gov.uk/browse/driving/car-tax-discs.

Paying for your policy

How can I pay?

You can pay for your insurance via our secure payment system. The payment methods available to you will be presented at checkout. We accept the following payment methods:

  • Visa (credit/debit cards)
  • MasterCard (credit/debit cards)
  • Maestro (debit card)
  • PayPal
  • American Express
  • Apple Pay

How do I know if my card payment has been accepted?

Our payment confirmation page will be displayed as soon as your transaction has been authorised. This page will show you your policy number and the date your cover is due to start and expire. Your policy documents, including your certificate of insurance, can be printed online. Please note that you are unable to cancel or make changes to your temporary insurance cover policy once your payment has been authorised. Refunds are not available once the policy has been purchased.

My card payment was declined, what can I do?

Try putting your details through again. If you continue to have a problem, please contact your card issuer for advice.

Why has my card payment been declined?

For data protection reasons, your card issuer will not disclose to us the reason for a card being declined. Please contact the card issuer who should be able to help.

Will I receive a receipt for my card payment?

We will email you at the email address you provided with a receipt for the amount you have paid.

Can I pay the insurance on behalf of someone else?

Yes, it is important that the actual policyholder is aware of the cover being purchased and agrees to all the points in the proposer’s declaration. Due to data protection, security questions will be asked that need to be answered correctly prior to proceeding with payment.

Receiving your documents

Will I receive paperwork through the post?

Policy documents are sent to the email address provided on the policy. If you would like the documents posted out to you, please send your request to contactus@tc247.co.uk, quoting your policy number.

When will I receive my documents?

Please note that delivery times vary according to when the policy has been purchased. We cannot guarantee next day delivery except where the policy has been purchased prior to Royal Mail last acceptance times. Please see the Royal Mail website for further information: www.royalmail.com/personal/uk-delivery/special-delivery

Updating the Motor Insurance Database (MID)

Once you’ve purchased a temporary insurance policy, your insurance details will shortly be passed to the Motor Insurance Database (MID). While they are passed within the timescales required by the MID, due to the short-term nature of your policy, it is possible your policy may have expired before the details are loaded into the database.

We recommend that you print your Insurance Certificate and have this with you as this remains valid proof of your insurance and legal entitlement to drive the vehicle.

Your policy & making a claim

What to do in the event of a breakdown?

If you purchased breakdown cover alongside your policy and a breakdown occurs (whether or not you need assistance), you must immediately call the 24-hour Breakdown Control Centre on 01245 210 270 or 0330 123 1283. Breakdown assistance or recovery will only be provided if you or a driver stay with the vehicle until a rescue vehicle arrives.

Contacting your insurer after an accident or to make a claim

Please contact the claims helpline number relevant to your insurance policy immediately. Remember to quote your policy number which can be found on your insurance certificate:

  • Ageas claims helpline: 0345 126 2596
  • Catlin claims helpline: 020 7648 8111
  • Eridge claims helpline: 0333 241 9200
  • First Underwriting claims helpline: 0333 305 8120
  • Haven and Granite claims helpline: 0345 092 0700
  • KGM claims helpline: 0333 555 5909
  • Mulsanne claims helpline: 0344 573 1229
  • Service claims helpline: 01273 741987
  • Southern Rock claims helpline: 0344 840 9500
  • Towergate claims helpline: 0844 412 6412

How much will you pay if my vehicle is stolen or written off?

Your insurer will negotiate a fair settlement based on established sources of information. The maximum settlement value specific to your policy can be found in your policy documentation.

Cancelling/changing/renewing your policy

Can I cancel the policy?

If your policy is for 30 days or less – you may cancel this policy at any time. Due to the short term nature of this policy there will be no refund of the premium.
If your policy is for more than 30 days (provided there has been no claim for total loss under the policy) and if the cover doesn’t meet your requirements, please contact us within 14 days from its commencement and we will refund the premium paid less a pro-rata sum for the period of cover provided and our administration fee of £15.

Should you wish to cancel after this time there will be no refund of the premium.

Please note that any charity donations paid will not be refunded.

Can I make changes to the policy?

No, due to the short term nature of the policy we do not allow any changes to be made.

Will I be able to renew my policy?

Our policies are for a short period of time and usually have a one-off purpose. Therefore, we do not provide the option to renew the policy. We will email you to advise that your policy is due to expire and provide a link to our website to allow you to purchase a new policy if you require further cover.


Promotional Terms & Conditions

If you have received a promotional email or SMS from Tempcover since the 4th July 2019, you can get between £12.50 and £40.00 off your temporary car or van insurance policy and up to £20 off temporary learner insurance depending on the duration of your policy. The offer ends 31st October 2019 and excludes home, impounded vehicle and motorcycle policies. The discount is taken from the administration fee and is not, therefore subject to IPT.

If you wish to no longer receive promotional emails or SMS from Tempcover, please send us a message via our contact us page.